GREY KOLLEGE SEKONDÊR
PARALLELMEDIUMSKOOL VIR SEUNS

GREY COLLEGE SECONDARY
PARALLEL MEDIUM SCHOOL FOR BOYS

Menu

Ander Fasiliteite | Other Facilities

Reüniesaal | Reunie Hall

The Reunie Hall is the heart of the school and the names on the honours boards, as well as international sport apparel presented by Old Greys serve as strong motivation for the current crop of Grey boys. The Hall was erected with funds raised and donated by Old Greys. Assembly has for decades been an integral part of life at Grey. During these assemblies speakers and artists from all walks of life are invited to address the boys in the “heart” of Grey, the Reunie Hall. Surrounded by names from the past on the honours boards and memorabilia presented by Old Greys who represented their country at sport, the boys listen to the wisdom of a wide variety of guest speakers. Many of them in adulthood refer to these speeches as having a lasting imprint on their lives. Many speakers like Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu and Gary Player have touched the hearts and futures of the Grey gentlemen from the stage of the Reunie Hall.

Eeufeessaal | Centenary Hall

The Centenary Hall was inaugurated in 1957 and is the assembly hall for the primary school. This hall can seat 1200 people and is often used for large functions. In 1951 is daar, as deel van die beplanning van die Eeufees in 1955, begin met die bouprogram vir die Eeufees. In die beplanning was daar twee belangrike geboue: die nuwe biblioteek en ‘n saal wat groot genoeg was om deur albei skole gebruik te word. Die sekondêre skool en die primêre skool het vir die eerste keer in 1950 geskei. Daar is beraam dat die koste van die nuwe saal £ 22 000 sou wees. Op 13 Oktober 1955 is die eerste sooi gespit vir die bou van die Eeufeessaal. Die Eeufeessaal is amptelik geopen in 1957. Vandag word die saal gebruik deur die primêre skool as hul skoolsaal en deur die sekondêre skool by geleentheid soos vir matriekeksamens.

Personeelkamer | Staff Room

The Old Gym Hall has been restored and now serves as the staff room. Die destydse Ou Gimsaal is gerestoureer en dien tans as die personeelkamer.

Museum

The Grey museum was officially openend on 12 October 2005 when the school celebrated its 150th birthday, and also houses the Reunie office. The layout of the museum was done in conjunction with the National Museum in Bloemfontein. Die Grey Museum is amptelik op 12 Oktober 2005, as deel van die skool se 150-jarige verjaarsdagvieringe, geopen. Die uitleg van die museum is in samewerking met die Nasionale Museum, Bloemfontein gedoen. Die Grey Museum ontvang deurentyd gedenkartikels, foto’s en dokumente wat uitgestal word of in die argief bewaar word.

Leith-Huis | Leith House

Leith House is the only hostel that was replaced by a modern building; it accommodates the grade 11 and grade 12 learners. Leith-Huis is die enigste koshuis wat vervang is deur ‘n moderne gebou. Dit huisves die graad 11 en 12 leerders.

Ou Klok | Old Bell

The Old Bell next to the Reunie Hall tolls only once a year when the Matrics cross the stage of the Reunie Hall and walk under the ringing bell and hear Auld Lang Syne from the piano in the hallowed hall. The following inscription appears on the marble stone under the bell: “The first Reunion” and after crossing under the bell every matric boy becomes an Old Grey. Singer and writer Steve Hofmeyr, wrote a poem about the Old Bell which ends as follows: Enlightened now that every second bided here is shared with Greater Spirits in Communion. No heritage of fear, fame nor hierarchy they leave Just the Art of Greatness: upwardly retrieved. Upon this stage this Legacy of Presence you’ll receive When finally as men through tears and hands you shake The Stabilis of Bond becomes just that: Impossible to Break.”
Daar is nie 100% sekerheid wanneer die Ou Klok die eerste keer opgerig is nie. Dit is ook nêrens geboekstaaf wanneer die matrieks die eerste keer aan die einde van hul matriekjaar onder die Ou Klok deurgeloop het vir hul eerste reünie nie. Dit was egter nie in die tyd van Jock Meiring (1922 – 1948) nie. Dit het dus waarskynlik daarna gebeur en het gou ontwikkel tot een van die skool se roerendste tradisies. Op die laaste dag van die matrieks stap al die matrieks vir die laaste maal oor die verhoog, groet die skoolhoof en die skoolkapteins en stap dan onder die klok deur om weer by hul maats aan te sluit. Dit is ook hier waar die gebruik ontstaan het om regs by die verhoog op te stap (van onder gesien) en links af te stap.

SD Maree gebou | SD Maree buidling

Die hoeksteen van die SD Maree-gebou is op 27 Augustus 1930 gelê deur JC Daniels, Voorsitter van die Finansiële Kommissie van Grey en Eunice. Die gebou het oorspronklik as kantore van die Registrateur van die skool gedien tot 1977. Die gebou is vernoem na SD Maree, Huisvader van Murray-huis en Kassier van Grey-Kollege en Eunice van 1921-1944. The cornerstone of the SD Maree building was laid on 27 August 1930 by JC Daniels, who was the Chairperson of the Financial Commission of Grey College and Eunice. The building served as offices to the Registrar of the school until 1977. The building is named after SD Maree, the residence head of Murray house and Cashier of Grey College as well as Eunice from 1921-1944.

Fisher Garden & Memorial Wall

Die Fischertuin is vernoem na oud-Grey Percy Fischer (vader van Bram Fischer). ‘n Gedenknaald vir gestorwe soldate (oud-Greys) is tydens die skool se Eeufeesvieringe in 1955 in die Fischertuin onthul deur Mnr.Leo Marquard. Die besluit om ‘n Gedenkmuur in die tuin op te rig, is op 3 September 2002 deur die Reüniekomitee geneem, nadat daar ‘n behoefte was onder sommige oud-Grey’s om eendag na die skool van hul hart terug te keer. Die fondse is geskenk deur ‘n oud-Grey en die muur is opgerig. Oud-Grey Hansie Cronjé (Protea krieketkaptein) wat op 1 Junie 2002 oorlede is, se as is die eerste as wat in ‘n nis in die gedenkmuur geplaas is. Die tweede muur met 180 nissies is gefinansier en gebou deur die Grey Reünie en in 2015 opgerig. Besprekings vir ‘n nissie kan by die Reüniekantoor geplaas word.

The Fischer Garden is named after Old Grey Percy Fischer (father of Bram Fischer). A Memorial to the Old Greys who laid down their lives in the country’s war, was unveiled in the gardens by Mr Leo Marquard during the schools Centenary celebrations in 1955. The decision to build a Wall of Remembrance in the Fischer Gardens, was made on 3 September 2002 by the Reunie committee after a couple of Old Greys mentioned that they would one day love to return to the school of their heart. The funds for the wall was donated by an Old Grey and the wall was built. The ashes of Old Grey Hansie Cronjé (Protea cricket captain) who died on 1 June 2002, was the first who’s ashes were placed in the wall. The second wall with 180 niches was financed and built by the Grey Reunie in 2015. Bookings for a niche can be made at the Reunie office.

Grey Together

The coffee shop is a convenient and upmarket coffee shop on campus that provides meals and refreshments to boys, parents and visitors to Grey College. Die koffiewinkel is die ideale kuierplekkie vir ouers, seuns en besoekers aan Grey Kollege

Scroll Up
X