Official Examination Policy of Grey College Secondary School
Duties of learners
- No school bags/study materials are allowed in the examination venue.
- Please note that a NO cell phone policy is implemented during the examination.
- Calculators are permitted for Mathematics, Maths Literacy, Accounting, Physical Science and Life Sciences.
- Learners may not borrow anything from another learner during the examination.
- Learners must be at the venue by 08:15 in order that the examination may commence at 8:30. [Approximately 15 minutes prior to commencement to open with scripture reading/prayer, verify absences, make necessary announcements and hand out question papers].
- Learners who report late for the examination will not receive any extra time.
- Learners may leave after the examination has been written.
- Should the length of a question paper be 1 hour, learners must stay for the full hour before they may hand in and leave.
- Should the length of a question paper exceed an hour, learners may hand in and leave after 2/3 of the allocated time has passed.
- This arrangement applies to all grades.
- Learners may not occupy themselves with any other activities while they are in the examination venue.
- Should learners not write an examination on any one specific day, they may remain at home/ the hostel to study (applicable only during formal examinations/ not during mini-examinations).
- Head of department provides class lists to invigilators.
- Invigilators use class lists to indicate absences on the day of the examination.
- Final session invigilators must ensure that learners sign next to their name on the class list when the question papers and answer sheets are handed in.
- Learners must hand in question papers together with their answer sheets.
- The list of absentees must be handed to the head of department before 12:00 on the day of the examination.
- The head of department must verify these absences with the members of his department.
- Absences must be verified with Ms Juanita Nel before 13:00 on the day of the examination.
- Ms Nel will contact the parents of the learners who are absent.
- Any learner who is absent for a subject(s) without approval of the school, will receive
- Any learner who is absent for a subject(s) and cannot present a medical certificate, will receive NIL
- Should acceptable reasons be given or proof of absence can be provided, the term mark (SBA) will be converted to a mark that can be entered on the SAMS system.
- Should a learner be absent for a subject’s second or third question paper, the marks for the paper(s) already written will be converted and entered.
- No question paper may be written at any time prior to the official examination date of the subject as stipulated on the timetable.
- Should permission to write earlier be given:
- the paper will be written on the same day as it scheduled on the timetable
- the paper will be handed in after the learner majority has started writing the subject.